Using blogging as a communication tool for your business can be one of the most important and beneficial decisions you have ever made.
Think of your blog as the voice of your company; you can relay messages, give expert advice and promote discussions. In turn, your blog can help YOU truly understand your customers by opening the door to content as a means to teach and educate others about your industry.
According to HubSpot.com, 92% of of blog users who posted multiple times a week acquired a customer through their blog, a figure that decreased to 66% for those who blogged monthly and 43% for those who posted less than monthly.
1. Engage Customers New and Old:
- Use blogging as a tool to measure what your customers do and do not care about. As you write and share on particular topics you will be able to measure and study what attracts your readers. You can this this by monitoring your analytics, social media shares and comments from each story produced. Old and stale content does not draw interest to your website or add to your SEO as well as new content does. By consistently updating your blog, you are showing your audience that you are a subject matter expert who stays up to date in your industry.
2. Be the Solution:
- Think of your blog as a way of giving back to your customers and readers. They have landed on your blog in order to receive “expert” advice on a particular subject so take the opportunity to educate and inform them. Consumers have plenty of questions and do not want to be kept in the dark, especially if they are paying for a service. GREAT blogs answer their questions and give them the solution they are looking for.
3. Expand Your Platform:
- Blogging doesn’t have to be limited to just writing on a particular subject- it can mean getting your message out on various platforms. Depending on the subject at hand, you can use a variety of social media outlets to reach out to consumers. For example, if a video is the best route to go so consider creating a YouTube Channel for your business. If you need a visual try Pinterest or if its strictly social try Facebook or Twitter. Also, by placing social media share links at the conclusion of your blog post, you are making it easier for readers to share your entry on their own social media accounts, which spreads your post to their followers as well. Your content can open the doors to new opportunities no matter what form you decide to take.
4. Allow Comments:
- Leaving the comment box option open on your blog might sound scary – but try to have no fear. By doing this, it gives you the perfect opportunity to speak directly to your customers, promote conversations and offer direct suggestions. You may be hesitant to leave this option available due to negative feedback that could arise. When people post with problems or questions you are able to respond with suggestions and advice that may ultimatley steer them to your product or service to help solve their problems. Be sure to reply directly, address them by name, and be sure to show that you value their opinion or feedback. In the case of unsolicited or inappropriate comment replies, you have the option to moderate comments before they are posted publicly, allowing you to delete if necessary.
5. Creative Content:
- Unique content stands out among the rest of the information already posted on the Internet. By writing and creating blog posts, you are attracting an audience that is looking for information that they do not already know- but really want to. Be sure to post information that is related to your industry as opposed to just your company. You are trying to provide valuable information that helps position yourself as a subject matter expert in your industry. You want users to come to you for advice and value your blog content information as opposed to feeling they are just being sold to. Proper blog content consists of information that is of interest to your target audience, such as industry updates, news and important general information related to products or service that your company offers. The information needs to matter to your audience and not bore nor interest them.
The above mentioned tips are just a few ways you can utilize your blog to help communicate with customers and give a voice to your company.
Remember that a blog can be one of the most beneficial market research tools available!