What’s in a Blog? And what is Blog Hosting?
“Blog” is an abbreviated version of “weblog” which is a term used to describe web sites that maintain an ongoing chronicle of information. A blog is a frequently updated, personal website featuring diary-type commentary and links to articles on other Web sites. Blogs range from the personal to the political, and can focus on one narrow subject or a whole range of subjects.
Many blogs focus on a particular topic, such as web design, home staging, sports, or mobile technology. Some are more eclectic, presenting links to all types of other sites. Others are more like personal journals, presenting the author’s daily life and thoughts.
Generally speaking (although there are exceptions), blogs tend to have a few things in common:
- A main content area with articles listed chronologically, newest on top. Often, the articles are organized into categories.
- An archive of older articles.
- A way for people to leave comments about the articles.
- A list of links to other related sites, sometimes called a “blogroll”.
- One or more “feeds” like RSS, Atom or RDF files.
WordPress Blog Hosting Canada – World Class Blogging Engine
HostUtopia is proud to offer WordPress Hosting, a free, open-source personal publishing system that allows you to easily create a complex blog, or web log, on your site. WordPress offers intuitive administrative tools and sophisticated design features that make it easy to develop and integrate a personal or professional blog on your site. WordPress is renown as “The” blog software.
You can activate this industry-leading blog tool in your Control Panel. The install can be found in the HostUtopia ToolBox located in the Software/Services section. Once you activate WordPress, you’ll be able to use its flexible templates to design the look and feel of your blog; set up your publishing infrastructure; create archives, sets of links, and static pages; and even import a blog you created with another publishing system.
A Few Blogging Tips
Starting a new blog is not all that difficult, but there are a lot of them out there. Some are really successful, some are not. You’ll want to stand out from the crowd of millions of bloggers, so here are some simple tips to help you on your way to blogging mastery:
- Post regularly, but don’t post if you have nothing worth posting about.
- Stick with only a few specific genres to talk about.
- Don’t put ‘subscribe’ and ‘vote me’ links all over the front page until you have people that like your blog enough to ignore them (they’re usually just in the way).
- Use a clean and simple theme if at all possible.
- Enjoy, blog for fun, comment on other peoples’ blogs (as they normally visit back).
- As blogs are found via search engines, you may wish to consider a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) package for your blog.
Blogging is a great way to express views and provides personality to the internet. You can find tutorials on installing and using WordPress located in the tutorial section of your cPanel.