Publishing an iWeb Website to HostUtopia
Posted: Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 at 3:27 pm
Looking for a new home for your iWeb site?
You’ve found it: Here are detailed instructions on Publishing an iWeb Website
Publishing an iWeb website to your HostUtopia account is easy. Once you have your domain name and iWeb hosting account in place with us, we provide you with the information you will need to upload your site to your hosting space on our servers. iWeb 2009 has the built in ability to easily publish your website directly to our servers, iWeb 2008 and earlier requires a few more steps but is still a rather simple process.
In both cases the process can be broken down into 4 steps:
- Creating your site in iWeb
- Ordering your Domain Name and Hosting account via the HostUtopia Secure Order Page
- Publishing (uploading) your iWeb site to your HostUtopia server space
- Setting your Domain Name to resolve to your HostUtopia server space
We will discuss publishing iWeb via FTP from both iWeb 2009 and iWeb 2008 (and earlier) in two sections. In both instances you will need your FTP username and password we send you via the HostUtopia New Account Information email you will receive when you sign up for your new account. If you already have an account with us and need this information, click here to retrieve it.
To get started, have your iWeb site open and ready to publish, and your HostUtopia New Account Information in hand.
1. Click to select your site in the iWeb site list:
2. You will be presented with a drop down sheet which you will need to fill out. The username and password can be found in the HostUtopia New Account Information email:
3. Once you have the information filled in, press Test Connection. This will do a test upload to make sure all the settings are correct.
If it works you are set to go – when you click the publish button, your site will now be published to your HostUtopia hosting account!
iWeb 2008 and earlier
The FTP publish functionality that is built into iWeb 2009 in the above paragraph is not present in iWeb 2008 and earlier. But it does contain an option in the file menu called ‘publish to folder’ which means it saves the entire website onto your computer. You can then manually copy this folder to your HostUtopia hosting account using a method called ftp (File Transfer Protocol).
- To get started, have your iWeb site open and ready to publish, and your HostUtopia New Account Information in hand.
- Choose ‘Publish to Folder’ from the File Menu
- Some older versions of iWeb will automatically save your site into your user/sites directory on your computer, some versions will allow you to specify the folder destination.
- Download an FTP application such as CyberDuck. Click here to download CyberDuck
- Launch your FTP application and fill out the information found in the HostUtopia New Account Information email:
6. Once you have connected, select Upload from the File Menu, navigate to the folder on your computer which contains your site files, select them all and hit the upload button.
When using an older version of iWeb and this FTP transfer method, you will need to repeat the process when you make any changes in iWeb.
That’s it! If at any time you need help, give us a call and one of our technicians will be happy to help you out!