Search Engine Optimization – Finding the Top
Posted: Tuesday, September 9th, 2008 at 8:14 pm
“Having a website is like printing a brochure; but if you don’t buy stamps and mail the brochure, nobody will see it.” ~ Danonymous
Many small-business owners are facing the fact that simply having a web site is not enough anymore. They need a web site that people can find. Consumers are increasingly using search engines to locate businesses which means a company’s bottom line may depend on landing a premium spot on search result pages.
Studies show that few people dig more than three pages, and there’s only so much room at the top.
SEO, an acronym for Search Engine Optimization, is the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via “natural” search results for targeted keywords. This process includes search engine and directory submission, which can sometimes require an inclusion fee. It includes both advertising and optimization efforts to achieve high visibility of a website for relevant keywords or key phrases. SEO is also referred to as search engine positioning or search engine promotion.
Some Interesting Facts About SEO
- Search engines are the number one way consumers find new web sites online.
- Search engines are the number one way to generate traffic to websites.
- 80% of internet users use search engines.
- Users looking for products are far more likely to type the product name into a search engine’s search box than browse shopping “channels” or click on ads.
- Search engine positioning is the top method cited by web site marketers to drive traffic to their sites.
- Internet users tend to experience ‘search rage’ if they don’t find what they want within 12 minutes.
- Millions of people query the search engines every day to find products you sell!
- Search referrals increase exponentially over time once an SEO program is executed.
- SEO IS ADVERTISING!
AND REMEMBER: Until your site is #1, there’s always room to move up!!
Tags: Engines, Search, search engine optimization, search engine positioning, search engine promotion, search referrals, site, traffic